CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Prince Eric


I would like to officially grant the title of Best Disney Prince to Prince Eric (of Little Mermaid for those not in the know). I have actually thought long and hard about this decision, and I am confident that you will agree with me. Following is the proof.



1. Personality. With the possible exception of Aladdin, Eric has the best personality out of all the Disney princes. However, Aladdin is hereby disqualified from this point because he is the main character of the movie, so of course he has some personality. Prince Eric was a supporting character, and when compared with princes like Prince Phillip (Sleeping Beauty), Prince Charming (Cinderella), and the prince from Snow White (he didn't even have a name, how can you expect a personality?), I believe you will see my point.

2. The castle and kingdom. After extensive googling I still can't seem to nail down the exact location of Prince Eric's kingdom, but I have always assumed it was somewhere in the French Mediterranean. This in and of itself is enough to win over this point, but let's look at a few other things. If the movie is an accurate portrayal of everyday life in Eric's kingdom, everyone is happy and nothing bad ever happens. It is a sunny, lush, and beautiful village in the South of France (again, I'm assuming this, but I'd say it's a pretty good assumption based on the scenery and some of names and accents of the characters). Let's compare this to a few of the other Disney movies: In Sleeping Beauty there is an evil sorceress who casts spells willy-nilly and generally wreaks havoc on the villagers, including putting them all to sleep for 100 years. In Snow White there is an evil queen who is well versed in witchcraft and preys on innocent, unsuspecting young women who are prettier then she is. Granted the seven dwarfs almost make up for this, but not quite. In Cinderella the government obviously lacks any sort of social services, as Cinderella was kept a slave in her own home without anyone else in the village ever noticing or caring. In Aladdin the Grand Vizier (I believe he is second in command) is an evil sub-human sorcerer who can easily hypnotize the Sultan (who seems well-intentioned if a bit dim-witted) and take control over the country....wait....why does that sound familiar?

3. The in-laws. At the beginning of the movie, King Triton believes all humans are "spineless harpooning fish-eaters", and the possibility of Eric dying in a ship wreck would merely mean "one less human to worry about." However, once seeing how much his daughter loves Eric, and after Eric saves the day by killing the sea witch and setting all her weird sea-weed prisoners free (including King Triton himself), he gives Ariel a permanent set of legs and lets his daughter go be happy with Eric. Triton and several other mermaids and mermen come to Ariel and Eric's wedding, and at the end Triton makes a rainbow for the occasion, and respectfully bows to Eric. Eric not only has a father in law who is willing to see the error of his ways, but Eric himself was willing to accept Ariel even when her father would rather see him dead. Now for the in-laws on the other side - although Eric seems to be an orphan and only child, he does have Grimsby (an uncle? A close friend? A political advisor? Not sure...), who may be rather old and crotchety, but let us not forget that he liked Ariel from the start, and helped Eric see his true feelings for her.

4. True love. At sunset of the third day, Ariel turns back into a mermaid to the utter surprise and shock of Prince Eric. However, this doesn't put a damper on his feelings one bit, and he still swims out to sea and risks his life to save Ariel and all the other merpeople. At this point Eric has no idea that it's even possible for him to be with Ariel, as he obviously can't live underwater and Ariel can't live on land, but all he cares about is Ariel being safe and happy.

I believe that is sufficient evidence for the title. There are probably a few things I am overlooking, so if you can think of anything please let me know.


6 comments:

paulandcherisvreeken said...

Hey its great to hear from you!!! Sorry its taken me so long to reply... I tried to look up your blog when you first wrote me but it wouldn't let me view your page. I'm glad its working now!!! How are you guys?! You need to get some family pictures up!!!

Crystal Lynn said...

um I love you! Your blog is awesome!!! you make me smile. :)

Ammon Allred said...

Elena would be delighted to read this post. I (since I am often cast by her as Triton --- with whom I do actually identify, for being the only sensible person in the story) am horrified.

Jennette said...

Well who would YOUR pick be??

Ammon Allred said...

I am freaked out by the whole princess line, and therefore by the prince line also. I mean he might be the best (i.e. least bad) but that's like saying that Robert Gates is the best member of the Bush Cabinet.

I still might go with the Beast, even though he looks freakish when he's unbeastified.

As to where does the story take place --- I think it's supposed to be the Carribean (at least that's what Sebastian's accent suggests), although everyone is white . . . so maybe it's in the Mediterranean. Or else in Walt Disney's racist version of the Carribean.

The real story is from Denmark, I think (assuming it's original to H.C Anderson). But then all the mermaids and merman would have had to cover up a little more.

Jennette said...

Yes HC Anderson was the original author, and it is not even remotely similar to the Disney version (in my opinion at least).

I definitely considered the Beast, especially because he is also in France (I am still going to believe Prince Eric is in the Mediterranean), but I agree with you, he should have just stayed a beast.

But now your Robert Gates comment has completely ruined it for me. Every time I see Prince Eric I will think of Robert Gates.