CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 13, 2009

Nora

I typically like to keep my blog light and funny. No, my life isn't all rainbows and sunshine, I just like to amuse you all with a hilarious spin on motherhood, work, school and all that goes along with those things. Obviously there is some serious crap involved, but personally I think blogs should be funny so I like to turn that crap into lemonade....er something.



However, most of you know that my 9 month old daughter Nora has been struggling for most of her life with pain that we don't know the cause of, and many have asked for an update this week after several procedures and tests. That being said, this post will probably be a downer. There's your disclaimer.



At Nora's one month check up her doc decided she had acid reflux and put her on Zantac. It seemed to work for a few weeks but she was back to screaming and not eating rather quickly. After a change to Prevacid we thought we had things under control until about 5-6 months old. Nora has never been a great sleeper - she typically wants to be held and even then she really only sleeps for a maximum of 3 hours at a time (if I'm super-duper lucky), but around 5 months she took a turn for the worse and was up most of the night screaming in pain. Most nights I "sleep" sitting up in bed with Nora on my chest, or Tom walks her around. Finally at 7 months after insisting to her doc that there was something else wrong he referred me to the GI clinic at Mary Bridge. We saw Dr. Pickens for the first time a month ago today and at that point Nora was off all growth charts and losing weight. He ran blood work and some other preliminary tests to find her inflammtory markers high, white blood cell count high, and red blood cell count low. Although very rare in infants, Dr. Pickens suspected Crohn's and did an endoscopy and flex sig the next week, which showed villi loss in her small intestine, blood in her stomach, and unhealthy tissue throughout her stomach and small intestine.. Biopsies were negative for eosiniphilic disorder (a white blood cell disorder), celiac (gluten intolerance), positive for inflammation, pointing again to Crohn's.



This week he did an upper GI with small bowel follow through (drink barium contrast and take x-rays ALL DAY while it goes through your system), at which point he was convinced it was Crohn's and even started discussing treatment plans. Wednesday we did a colonoscopy to "confirm", but it looked normal. He sent in biopsies anyway and redid her blood work, which showed her still anemic, and her white blood cell count and inflammatory markers almost doubled.



At this point Crohn's is still an option, but it is becoming more and more unclear. We are waiting for more blood results and biopsy results to take the next step. Meanwhile Nora seems to be getting worse each day. Up until the last week she has had horrible waves of pain and bad nights, but other then that has always been very happy, smiley and easy going. If you make eye contact with her she will give you a beautiful, big open mouthed smile. However this week she is not a happy camper at all. She couldn't eat for most of Tuesday and Wednesday because of the procedures, she became very dehydrated, and her blood work on Wednesday had to be taken from a vein in her scalp after being poked twice in each hand and foot. She normally loves to crawl around, get into things, stand up and cruise, but this week she just wants to be held and doesn't even have the strength to pull herself up anymore. Last night she screamed from 9:00pm until 2:45am. I definitely haven't been in denial - I am the one who has been insisting to her doc all this time that there was something wrong - however, this week has been sobering and depressing to say the least.



At this point I feel like I could honestly care less what her diagnosis is - I just want to know so I can take care of her the way she needs. Thank you to everyone who has been a huge support this last month with helping take care of Harper during all the many doctor's appointments, your words of encouragement and your prayers. I firmly believe that Heavenly Father guides people to our lives to help us through challenges and I have seen that this month more then any time in my life.

3 comments:

Ammon Allred said...

Our thoughts are with you. Much love.

Kacey said...

Jeannette, I am so sorry to hear about your sweet little girl. Your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there!

We Three Madsens said...

Im sorry little Nora is having such a hard time. I really hope they can figure out whats wrong soon so that it can be helped and she wont be in so much pain. Let me know if I can ever do anything to help.